It is our divine duty to protect Mother Earth’s diversity, beauty and vitality and this duty is highlighted in the 16 principles of the Earth Charter.
1) Respect Earth and Life in all its diversity.
2) Care for the community of Life with compassion, understanding and love
3) Build just democratic societies that are peaceful, participatory and sustainable.
4) Secure Earth’s beauty and bounty for posterity.
5) Protect and restore the integrity of Earth’s ecosystems, highlighting biodiversity and nature life sustaining processes.
6) Prevent harm to the environment.
7) Adopt patterns of production, consumption and reproduction that safeguard Earth’s regenerative capacities, human rights and community well being.
8) Advance the study of eco sustainability and promote eco knowledge.
9) Eradicate poverty ( Poverty is Sin - Shaw )
10) Ensure that economic activities and institutions at all levels, promote human development in a sustainable and in an equitable manner.
11) Affirm gender equality and equity as prerequisites to sustainable development and ensure universal access to education, health care and economic opportunity.
12) Uphold the rights of all, without discrimination, to a natural and social environment supportive of human dignity, bodily health and spiritual well being, with special attention to the rights of indigenous peoples and minorities.
13) Strengthen the democratic institutions at all levels, and provide transparency and accountability, in governance, inclusive participation in decision making, and access to justice.
14) Integrate into formal education and life long learning the knowledge, values and skills needed for life sustainable.
15) Treat all with respect and consideration.
16) Promote a culture of Nonviolence, tolerance and peace. Look at the 16th principle and you will find that it is nothing but Indian Culture in toto.
The ancients said Dasa Putro Sama Druma ( one tree is equal to ten sons ). To counter Deforestation and Desertification, Reforestation is the answer. Love cognised is Truth Love in action is Non Violence Love as feeling is Peace ! Tolerance is one of the best qualities in man.
The true mystic is he who tolerates both enemy and friend ! We have two duties - duty unto Caesar ( worldly duty ) and duty unto God ( divine duty ). While one should work and support one’s family, one should also devote one’s time to Nature !
Protecting Gaia is our duty. She gave birth to us. You can read about the Earth Charter Initiative here. We are standing at a critical time in the history of our beloved Earth, as many eco problems have arisen. There are depleting water levels, pollution, overpopulation, resource depletion, desertification etc. It is upto us to protect Gaia. Otherwise we are doomed.
The Green Movement, undoubtedly the largest social movement of all time, is transforming the world. People have become more eco conscious. All nations of the world should renew their allegiance to the United Nations, fulfill their obligations and implement the Earth Charter. Then only can the Earth be redeemed !
Author Bio :
Article by Govind Kumar, astro scholar, writer and academician of
http://zodiacastrology.blogspot.com. His Google+ Profile is