The Ninefold Deity is the Mother Divine in her nine aspects. She is the Sacred Feminine of Gnosticism, the Maya of Vedanta, the Prakriti of Sankhya and the Shakti of Tantra. She is the beginingless Ignorance or Nescience ( Avidya ), which binds man to the sublunar world. She is the manifest power of the Unmanifest ! The power of the Unmanifest Lord Triune, the Tri-featured and Eternal The generatrix of the Universe is She Universal Mind, which sprung from the Lord ! Avyaktha namnee paramesha shakti Anadya Vidya trigunatmika para Kayanumeya Sudhiyaiva Maya Yada jagat sarvamidham prasooyathe This Nava Durga Mantra protects the seeker, whether he be amidst enemies or in the battlefield, or enveloped by worries and difficulties.
He who takes refuge in the Mother Divine will be protected by the Creatrix of the Universe. She is begininngless, because of her structural inherence in the phenomenal words. All the universes and multiverses are in transitional flux, in exact antithesis to the Immutability of the Divine ! All Indian festivals are based on the position of the Heavens. When the Moon is within 12 degrees of the Sun it is called the First Lunation, Prathama. The second is ( 12-24 degrees ) is called Dwitheeya. Then Thritheeya ( Third ), Chathurthi ( fourth ), Panchami ( Fifth ), Shashti ( Sixth), Sapthami (Seventh ), Ashtami ( Eighth ),Navami ( NInth ) and so on. Navaratri is the festival of Nine days, when the Nine forms of the Mothe Divine is worshipped.
The Universal Mother is worshipped in her Nine Aspects, which are as follows.
1) Shailaputri - Mythologically, She is the daughter of the Himalyas. She is worshipped during Prathama, the first lunation, when the Moon is within 12 degrees of the Sun.
2) Brahmacharini - She is the celibate and celibacy is observed by all spiritual aspirants for Self Actualisation. She is worshipped during Dwitheeya, the second lunation.
3) Chandra Ghanti - She holds a half-circular Moon on her forehead and is worshipped during Thritheeya, the third lunation. . The Moon is the exoteric symbol of the Divine Mother. The Sun is the exoteric symbol of the Self. In Vedanta, the Moon represents the Universal Mind or Cosmic Mind.
4) Khooshmanda - She creates the Universe, the Brahmanda, by mere laughing. She is the power behind the solar systems. She holds the Rosary, indicating that Mantra Yoga is powerful and is conducive to Enlightenment. She is worshipped during Chathurthi, the fourth lunation
5) Skanda Matha - She is the mother of Skanda, the Military General of the celestials. She observed penance to get the hand of Lord Shiva and gave birth to Skanda, the Military Chief. She is worshipped during Panchami, the fifth lunation.
6) Katyayani- She was born as the daughter of Katyavan. Katyavan was a seer who perfomed penance to get the Universal Mother as his daughter. She is worshipped during Shashti, the sixth lunation.
7) Kalaratri - Kala means Dark and Ratri means Night. This is the symbolism of the Dark Night of the Soul and the Dark Night of the Spirit. She is worshipped during Sapthami, the seventh lunation.
8) Maha Gauri - Gauri means White. She is as pure and white, sinless. She is worshipped during Ashtami, the eighth lunation.
9) Siddhi dhathri - Siddhi means psychic or occult powers. She is the bestower of psychic powers. There are eight Siddhis.
They are Anima, Laghima, Prapti, Prakamya, Iishitva & Vashitva, Garima and Mahima. She is worshipped during Navami, which is the ninth lunation. These nine deities are Her nine aspects. Now man is a composite creature and only by overcoming our negative aspect, can we aspire for Self Realisation. Overcoming our negative aspect is not easy. Lust, greed, anger, jealousy, sloth, covetousness, gluttony, the Seven Deadly Sins, have their home in us. Man houses dangerous forces in his house The Titan, the Fury and Djinn Lay in the Subconscient’s cavern pit And the beast moved in his antre den !
The Mother Divine destroys them one by one, to give us immortal Bliss. For this purpose, She is propitiated on Nine Days, during the Nine Lunations, during the Nine Thidhis, in Her Nine Aspects !.
Author Bio :
Article by G Kumar, astrologer, writer and programmer of http://zodiacastrology.blogspot.com. He give free tips at www.eastrovedica.net